Road Trips are My Zen










 Road trips are my Zen, my meditation, my solitude. Driving on a forgotten two-lane road is my opportunity to be mindfully present.

When on a journey, I am not interested in meeting people, in engaging in conversation or asking how others came to be where I am at that same moment in time. It is only later when reflecting on the randomness of that coming together for the blink of an eye that I might wonder about the people I come in contact with along the way.

Rather, I revel in the simple act of observing; of scanning the horizon where jagged flashes of lighting strike the barren desert in a far-off storm; of watching a herd of antelope spring over a barbed wire fence and race toward the distant mountains; of witnessing a flock of wild turkeys pecking undisturbed in the grass beneath a stand of pine trees; of inhaling the green expanse of a wide caldera once the epicenter of white hot lava spewing skyward and now a grassy plain where elk graze.

Being present in the moment allows the memories of these sights, however fleeting, to remain in the mind’s eye long after the journey ends.

Comments

Popular Posts