Spinach

You probably take spinach for granted. Toss a bag in the shopping cart and move on. I do not. Not after three years of having no spinach on Yap. Yes, I've had it in Guam but it's never made landfall in Yap. It's too fragile to make the ride on the bi-weekly supply ship. But there it was at the Blue Lagoon store this week. Cellophane packages of green, fresh spinach. I could have pondered how it got here in such great condition but instead I grabbed two packages and that night had sauteed spinach in olive oil and garlic for dinner. Nothing else was needed. Then I had the same thing the next night. And tonight I treated myself to spinach salad with two sliced hard boiled eggs and feta that a friend brought to me from Guam recently. I tossed it with my favorite homemade olive oil, balsamic vinegar (horded when I found it on a shelf at Pik n Sev months ago) and Dijon mustard. I have a half package left. What will it be tomorrow night? Whatever it is, I will savor it. And when I get to Smith & Wollensky's in NYC in June, I will order a side of sauteed spinach. Not once but twice and maybe even three times.

Comments

Popular Posts