Time to get some more power...

I hailed a taxi at the place where they tend to congregate in the center of town (which is just one crossroads and an L-shaped, 2-story commercial building.) The elderly gentleman was wearing a jaunty hat woven out of a fresh palm leaf, his white goatee a familiar site to me since we've often passed each other around town. He opened the door of the aging car since the window did not work anymore and I asked if he would mind taking me to the power company so I could pay for some more electricity. He said yes so I got into the back seat and off we went the two or three miles outside of town to the Yap State Power Service Company. I quickly got out and said I would be right back. I made the transaction and took my place again in the back seat and off we went back to town. I asked him to drop me in front of the road that goes to my village. "How much do I owe you?" I asked, getting the two-stop, $2 fare out of my basket.. "Oh," he replied, "I'm not a taxi driver. I just bought this car from the taxi company." "But it has a taxi decal on both front doors!" I exclaimed. "I thought you were a taxi!" He shook his head and laughed. "Well, let me pay you anyway," I said, "Here, buy yourself a beer," "I don't drink," he said. After a minute more of my feeling embarrassed and him refusing payment, I climbed out, my laughter joining his as we parted company. . Today he passed me in his well-used, rattling taxi and we waved gaily at each other. I have a feeling that will be our routine from now on that will bring a smile to both of us.

Comments

Popular Posts