Culture as Identity

I have traveled through many different countries and many different cultures. But, as an adult, I have not lived in a culture different from my own for any extended period of time. Granted, the culture of Seattle is not the same as the culture of New York City. Nor is the culture of Los Angeles the same as that found in Maine. Despite the fact that each of the places I have lived is made up of many cultures, I was always comfortable making my way in them as a privileged white person who knew how to get what I needed, spoke the language, understood the unsaid. I fitted in. I never had to find my way. I was one of the majority who established the culture of my country, my community. I never knew what it means to suddenly be set down in that culture as a stranger, an immigrant, an alien. I now live in a place in which I am a minority and must find my way in a different culture.

Some may argue that Yap is not all that different. The Americans came here in 1944 as invaders, the most recent in a long line of invaders. We established the government and the court system; instituted American currency and installed 110 volt power lines and telecommunication services; brought young men and women to live among the islanders as Peace Corps’ cross-cultural ambassadors; taught English and sent missionaries and priests to convert the islanders from their traditional beliefs; built small hotels that attract tourists from America, Germany, China and Japan. Many islanders went to college in the United States. Some stayed on there for better jobs, sending money home as so many immigrants do. Some married Americans and straddled both worlds.

As I walk around Colonia, the main municipality where I live, I am constantly reminded that I am an outsider, a minority. Colonia, indeed the entire island, is made up of villages. I live in the village of Nimor in the municipality of Weloy in which the town of Colonia sits. There are no street addresses. Everyone knows everyone else and which village they are from. Most are related through lineage or marriage. Family and community are all important. I was asked this week where my family lives. I replied that I do not have any family other than a few cousins who are scattered around the United States. “My friends are my family,” I said. The questioner, a young woman, looked confused at first, and then sad. “Oh,” she said, “I hope you find friends here who become your family.” I thanked her and said I was fortunate that I had already. “That is good,” she replied.

Being in the minority begins with the color of my skin and hair; the way I dress; my speech patterns and temperament; my body language and facial expressions; my gestures and even the shoes I wear and things I own. My point of reference is often puzzling to the people with whom I work. The way I talk and things I say are considered blunt, something that is discouraged in this place where one must keep an even keel for fear of upsetting the status quo.

I was walking down the road on my way to work awhile back and saw a man approaching from the opposite direction. As we passed each other, he said, “Goodbye” as I said “Hello.” Startled to not receive a “hello” in return, I learned later from an American friend that “goodbye” is used when you do not have time to stop and chat. If you have time to exchange pleasantries, “hello” is the acceptable greeting. It is still odd to me to say “goodbye” when I pass people on the road. I have taken to acknowledging people, stranger and acquaintance alike, with a quick and acceptable nod of the head instead. I get a sharp nod in return as we pass each other going to our separate destinations.

It is considered impolite to look at a person as you speak to them. Casting your eyes to the side, looking at the person only briefly as you talk, is the polite way of interacting. As Americans, we are taught to look the person in the eye when talking with them. If you agree with someone, you raise your eyebrows slightly rather than saying “yes” or nodding in agreement. And if the other person takes time to answer you, do not push them to respond. They are “searching the basket,” thinking carefully about their answer. “Searching the basket” refers to the handmade woven purses carried by every Yapese man and woman. Filled with green betel nuts, leaf wrappers and a small bottle of powdered lime, they use the time it takes to prepare the betel to think about their answer. I have not taken up betel chewing, but I am learning to be patient as I wait for the conversation to continue over the conference table. Not an easy task for a New Yorker!

Last night, I asked my dinner companions how they experience being a minority in this remote island. One is an Australian woman in her 40s who is a volunteer at the Environmental Protection Agency, the other is a young American man in his mid-20s who is the principal of the Catholic high school. Karen has been here for six months out of a total commitment of 18 months; Michael for more than three years with a personal commitment to stay for several years. Karen has felt it difficult to fit in at her office. She feels left out and ignored by some of her colleagues. We talked about why this might happen; how volunteers from Australia and the U.S. cycle through with no intention of staying. But we agreed that it goes beyond that. The culture is not open. People are friendly but reserved; some may say they appear rude or cold. Michael has invited his neighbors into his home but he has never been invited to theirs. He said he never would be, nor would we ever be invited to someone’s home. He once asked bluntly if he could go out with some of the men when they go spearfishing. They expressed surprise that he would want to go with them. “Why would you want to do that!” they said, astonished that it would be of any interest to him. He has yet to go with them.

We cannot ever expect to fully understand and experience another culture. We can only watch and listen and try to adopt some of the superficial ways of being and thinking that we observe. Michael told us of his recent trip back home for the holidays. He realized that he no longer felt comfortable in the culture in which he was raised. He has changed; he is now somewhere in between, neither here nor there.  I will probably never experience that type of profound change, but I am changed by the experience of living here as a resident.

A few months ago as I was walking down the road toward Letty’s hair salon and clothing shop to get my first haircut in Yap, I was concentrating on what I would tell Letty about my styling preferences.  I suddenly felt at peace. I realized that I was at home in this town. I was comfortable in this strange land. I was beginning to know people and many now knew me. I knew how to get around and where to get what I needed. From that moment I was not merely a tourist stopping momentarily in between the two weekly flights in and out. I was settling in even though I am of another place and culture.

If you are interested in learning more about Yap, its history and people, I suggest the following books:
  •  Making Sense of Micronesia; Making sense of Pacific island culture by Francis X. Hezel
  • Remaking Micronesia: Discourses over Development in a Pacific Territory 1944-1982 by David Hanlon
  • Micronesian Blues by Bryan Vila & Cynthia Morris

More are listed here: http://habele.blogspot.com/2007/03/10-great-books-about-micronesia.html 

Comments

Popular Posts