Roots

"We escaped to Council Grove, at the top end of the Flint Hills Scenic Byway, for lunch at the Hays House Restaurant, which has stood since 1857, when it was built by Seth Hays, Daniel Boone’s great-grandson, to service travelers on the Santa Fe Trail. Council Grove grew up around it, and is still pretty close to a picture-perfect Western town." http://travel.nytimes.com/2013/08/07/travel/in-kansas-museums-fried-chicken-and-yes-oz.html?hpw

In the late 19th century, my maternal grandfather moved to Council Grove, KS as a boy. He met my grandmother there and their three children were born in Council Grove...including my mother...before moving to Wichita around 1921. I've been to Council Grove and it is indeed "still pretty close to a picture-perfect Western town." Many of my relatives...grandmother, great uncles, a first cousin among them...are buried in the local cemetery...and my grandfather's dying wish was to have his ashes scattered across the Flint Hills. My roots run deep in that part of the world even if I've moved far away.

Comments

Popular Posts